Thursday, 22 April 2010
Lost: The Last Recruit - Explosions Can't Kill A Semi-Corporeal Supernatural Being, Stupid!
As we close in on the finale, a couple of episodes like this are inevitable. I believe they are referred to as chess piece episodes, in which they're mean reason for being is to get everyone into place for a subsequent episode. I fully expect next week to quite like this too. But I don't mind, because it was exciting, stuff happened and ended with the promise that shit is about to go down.
- A multi-flash episode, which is probably a good thing. Because there was no half-assed plotting, just cool moments between characters. As much as I hate the 'triangle' a.k.a any scenes that focus around Jack, Kate and Sawyer's desire to do each other. The Sawyer Kate scene was pretty cool. Lilly always tries a little hard, but as always, Josh Holloway was beyond awesome.
- Sun recognizes alter-Locke, and screams no! presumably mistaking him for the demon that wears his face back in our time line. Desmond is still pushing people to where they're 'supposed to be', this week connected Claire with her half brother Jack. Ilana looked hot in business lady mode. RIP Ilana.
- Sayid got arrested for the murder of about a thousand guys back at the kitchen. And by Sawyer no less. Dissed.
- Locke is into surgery with Jack, and destined, I would think, to have his legs all fixed and shit. I do hope he gets a happy ending in at least one reality.
- What's the betting on who Jack's sons mum is? his ex-wife from our reality? Juliet? Ana Lucia?
- So Sun turned out to be OK. great. Stupid irrelevant flash-sideways.
- I think that's about it, snappy segments kept this weeks flash-sideways from being too galling.
- So the gang's all back together. As Hurley's crew reunite with Locke's crew and the games begin. Any scene where Evil-Locke talks about the real John Locke seems to have a fair amount of poignancy.
" John Locke wasn't a believer, he was a sucker."
- Another awesome Evil Locke moment - Zoe, saunters up to the camp all cocky like demonstrating her mad technological explosive skills. After an airbourne bomb blows up about a click away, EL gives no semblance of shit, and not for one second breaking eyeline. Terry O Quinn rules.
- So Sawyer's plan went into full effect this week, as he gathered the remainder of our heroes and stole Evil Locke's boat, planning to hijack Widmore's submarine and get the fuck out of there.
" Sawyer stole my boat didn't he." Best line delivery ever. Evil Locke FTW.
- Emilie De Ravin served up some awesomeness tonight, showing glimpses of humanity behind the crazy of Claire 2.0. The scene with her and Kate was kind of sweet. Kate has never been my favorite character. In fact she has perhaps been consistently the weakest of the big players, but I liked that moment.
- Jack has remained a man of faith it seems, as he satys with EL rather then escape the island with Sawyer. Will the real man of faith please stand up?
- Widmore tried at episodes end to blow up Evil Locke with explosives. What a dumbass. Its about time this self-important jerk got killed I think.
- Is there some to salvage within zombie Sayid? as it appears he didn't go through with killing Desmond the way he was supposed to. Obviously Des was still alive by the way, those fools were tricking no-one last week. Naveen Andrews is as always fantastic.
- Zoe-Watch: Had a big face-off scene with Evil Locke, just came across a bad actress to be honest. I will take great pleasure in her inevitable death, particularly now that she and Widmore double-crossed our heroes, she cant be long for this world.
- No deaths in this one either, man are they going to blow their homicidal load all at once?
- A pleasant enough chess-piecer, and things are pretty much where they should be in regards to the on island stuff, although The flash-sideways are going to need a big, big ending. It's not the best season of Lost, but a killer last 5 hours would certainly not go a miss.