1) It's a wonderful life
The definitive film to make you happy. Does so by being decidedly depressing until the very end, thus making the most welcome upbeat ending you ever did see. If you ever think about killing yourself, watch this movie.
2) Singin' in the rain
I'm not a fan of most musicals but this one is the bomb. Its infectious positvity will leave even the most cynical of men grinning from ear to ear. This is the film for me that defines the jovial spirit of the old hollywood. Then we had to ruin it with realism and darkness. Darn.
3) Ferris Bueller's day offThe only John Hughes movie that has really stood the test of time, this is wish-fulfilment for the ages. The high-schooler you really wish you had the balls to be. Even if he is a bit of a sociopath.
4) Monsters incPixar have made a lot of tear-jerking movies, but for me this one gets to often forgotten in the crowd. It pulls of the near impossible trick of being sentimental without offending and is simply a great film to reinvigorate your faith in the world. Plus it has green and blue monsters.
5) I Heart HuckabeesThis criminally underseen comedy of all things philosophical is an absolute joy from beginning to end. Its intelligence may alienate some, but it worth powering through for one of the most enjoyable movie experiences you may ever have.
6) Some like it hotFor being such a perfect movie. A romantic comedy more concerned with being funny then romance, although it gives that its due also. ' Nobody talks like that'
7) A Hard day's nightThe kind of madcap comedy that just isnt done well anymore. Starring the most famous band of all time. I'd like to see Oasis make a movie this good.
8) ETI feel guilt obliged to include this, since I personally don't think its all that. But apparently everyone else in he world does, so here you go. Consider yourselves appeased. Stupid alien-monkey thing.